## LibreHosters questionnaire
0. what is your nickname?
1. what is the name of the collective you are going to talk about to answer these questions?
I am working with a9i and others on the [CloudMeUp](https://pad.lamyne.org/s/SJWj_uWaX#) framework, and I am also teaching and (independently) researching computational agency/decentralization/libre hosting/indieweb/software freedom/etc.
I am also tinkering with libre hosting/IaC for family groups, as well as IoT for home automation (mostly as an excuse to learn new stuff and refresh my high-school electronics recollections)
This pad is about myself as individual interested in these topics - introducing myself to the group as I could not travel to AMS for this inaugural event :cry:
2. In the present, how many admins are there in your collective? How many of these are volunteers, how many are paid?
It's just me doing research and managing my family infrastructure :smile:
3. What services do you offer?
to family: email/calendar/contacts/matrix/syncthing/VPN/IoT for home automation
4. Roughly how many users do you have?
family: less than 10
5. What kind of users do you aim for?
Families with one or more member who can do IaC and help others on the path to software freedom and computational agency in general
6. What backup mechanisms do you use in case your servers catch fire?
local backups at family homes, cross-backups via VPN, pull backups to external cloud service (b2 at the moment)
Aiming for [3-2-1](https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/)
7. Do you charge for services? / How do you fund to cover expenses?
in-kind service provision in exchange for wise advice and all kinds of invaluable help from other family members within their areas of expertise :heart:
8. If you are a volunteer, would you work comfortably within a network where collectives employ people?
9. If you are a in a collective that employs people, would you work comfortably with collectives with only volunteers?
n/a for myself as individual (vs part of CloudMeUp)
10. How do you decide, how are hierarchies within your collective?
n/a although I like to argue with myself :sunglasses:
11. Would you sign these manifestos?
12. what you would want from the project of this syndicate / network of tech collectives?
* inclusion and empowerment (against all power imbalances, violence, exploitation of surveillance capitalism): both for libre hosters and for end users of libre hosting services
* sharing of knowledge and best practices
* mutual encouragement/love
* loose collaboration on SRE/IaC frameworks, free software infrastructure
* strong focus on computational agency
13. Would you work comfortably in this network if the network itself employed worker/s?
14. Where are your servers hosted?
mostly within home networks, interconnected via VPN. occasional Digital Ocean/bytemark.co.uk cloud VMs, aiming to go bare metal for public servers
 being able to use freedom- and privacy-respecting computational tools in general, *and* being able to appropriate/change/improve/share them, relying on netirely free software SRE/IaC frameworks